ARE YOU READY FOR YOUR FIRST TIME?
By Karine St-Michel
A short guide to help you know if you're ready for your first time.
As we get closer to our first sexual relationship, it’s normal to wonder if we are really ready to go for it. But what does it mean to be ready? Is there a specific age for being ready? Do I really need to be in a relationship?
One thing is for sure, you should never do it because you’re feeling pressured or because your friends are doing it. It has to come from you. To help you, following are a few questions to ask yourself before you make love for the first time.
If you’re ready, your answers should be yes:
- Do you have a partner?
- Do you feel a strong sense of desire when you think about your partner?
- Do you often feel like talking about sex with your friends and with your partner?
- Do you feel complete trust towards the person you plan to have sex with for the first time?
- When you think about doing it for the first time, are your emotions positive?
- Have you taken the necessary steps to ensure that you will be protected? (using a condom)
If you have any doubts about any of these questions, you might have to wait a little longer…
If you answered yes, here are 3 things to remember:
Foreplay is the key to enjoyment. It is not true that your first time having sexual intercourse has to be painful. You could enjoy it, and it might not be as pleasant as you expected. Either way, remember to relax and not stress too much about what you should or shouldn’t be feeling. Every body is different.
Making sure that you are protected is important, even if it’s your first time. If you want to make sure everything runs smoothly before, during, and especially after, you should protect yourself. The condom or dental dam is a must!
Most importantly: It is in your right to withdraw your consent at any time. Your consent should be clear and explicit. You should want to have sex and if you don’t, you can stop at any time. Never feel guilty for listening to yourself and respecting yourself.
BY KARINE ST-MICHEL